Chicken Soup (10 Apr 09)



Chicken Soup for Good Health

This is not the 1st time I prepared chicken herbal soup. Previously I added chinese herbs to the soup. But recently my body is too heaty for strong herbal soup and my hubby is not keen in having soup with chinese herbs. So I decided to prepare a gentle & nourishing tonic soup that used only 3 ingredients - Chicken drumsticks, red dates (without seeds) & wolfberries. A little salt is added to taste. With so few ingredients, it is an easy & light refreshing soup for promoting good health.

My hubby is a cantonese, so he is very particular about soup. I am very happy when he gave me thumb up for this soup ^_^


Tip:
You can remove the skin of the drumstick to minimize the oil for a more healthy soup.
For me, I prefer to leave the drumstick as it is (w/o removing the skin), as the flesh will "melt" over the simmering period if the skin is removed. Anyway, I don't find the soup too oily when consumed. In fact, with the skin on, the soup is sweeter.



Benefits of this chicken soup:

Chicken soup relieves coughs and sore throats because the gentle heat from the soup improves blood circulation near the throat and windpipe. It also helps eliminate any bacteria or viruses entering the system through the throat and windpipe. It is also a good source of carnosine, an anti-oxidant. It also provide much needed supplements to boost the immunity system and nourish the body.

Red dates help to increase blood flow which strengthen the functions of heart and lung, as well as nourish the stomach and good for nourishing beautiful skin *wink wink*.

Wolfberries is a natural supplement for improving eyesight and beneficial for the liver. So it is good to take some wolfberries as our eyes may experience strain from staring at the computer screens / read documents for a long periods of time due to work / studies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...